The historic adaptive reuse and rehabilitation of the McGilchrist Roth Buildings has served to revitalize Salem’s downtown core. These two 1916 structures were stripped down to the original studs and conjoined to become one building. During demolition, a program of tenant spaces and occupant needs was developed. The McGilchrist and Roth buildings underwent major structural repairs and seismic upgrades, including concrete footings, shear walls, steel beams and columns, as well as hundreds of new floor joists. Approximately 3,500 board feet of lumber were salvaged from the two buildings. The wood was kiln dried and milled into 1x trim material to be used as interior ornament.
The building now includes nine second-story apartments of various size and layout. All apartments feature exposed brick walls and highlight the historic intricacies of the building’s past use. The first floor includes five new businesses, including Gayle’s Italian Market, Archive Coffee and Bar, Ricky’s Bubbles and Sweets, Doty, Pruett, Wilson, PC, CPA firm, and Diversified Financial Benefits. Each business exhibits its own distinct look while embracing the historic nature of the building. As noted by Sheri Wahrgren, Salem’s Downtown Revitalization Manager, a significant rehabilitation like this will increase the property values of all downtown buildings and serve to reinvigorate Salem’s commercial core.